sweet life background

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sisters!

My sister Brooke & I
I am proud to say this, my sister is my BEST friend. And I wouldn't have it any other way! I am so glad to be able to profess such a statement.

When I was younger I always hoped I would and could one day say she is not only my sister but also my friend. Sadly however there is an age difference that prevented us from truly knowing one another as we were growing up. An almost 7 year age gap can pose significant complications. Plus I being the eldest and she being the youngest we were raised differently and viewed the world in profoundly differing ways.

Yet in spite of the obstacles we faced in our lives now as grown adults we have slowly learned how to truly know each other and establish a bond, one I always envied with other women and their sister(s), of our very own. HOORAY!

My sister is one of the funniest women I know, she can make me laugh like nothing else and despite her complicated and turbulent life she still finds a way to smile and help you smile with her. She is beyond boundaries and balls to the wall unpredictable. Qualities I simply love in her! She is finding herself and doing what she can to evolve past our broken and bruised childhood into an amazing person aware and conscious of the world around her and her place in it.

I never really thought about sexual orientation and all the issues that people face today, but I am extremely impressed with her decision and how proud I am of her for coming out and declaring herself a Lesbian. I feel like she's continuing to grow and evolve into her true self even more now that she's embraced that aspect of her life and herself. It's as if a piece of the puzzle finally fit without force or fancy maneuvering. My sister is gay. It just feels right. I see her more happy and free than ever before. It's been a long time coming and I think she is ready for the world and all it has to offer her.

I look forward to seeing all she has to share with me and with those who's lives she has the opportunity to touch. Her positivity and zen mentality are infectious! Her view and her words are beautiful. I never knew how poetic and well written her voice could be and I am so glad that I can appreciate it all. I don't think I could have when I was younger. Age definitely helps, for sure!

So I dedicate this to my sister, Brooke. I love you my lil'zenacious B!
I got the luck of the draw when you were born and wouldn't change a thing! Thank you for knowing and understanding me sometimes better than I do myself! And I thank the stars above I have you as a constant in my life.

Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment